Monday, 30 January 2017

Where great gymnasts come from

Today's first topic will be, where do the best gymnasts come from?! I've done a few hours of research and then top three countries that I have found are, America, Russia and Romania. You have probably have heard all about Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles, America's top 2 women gymnasts of all time.


Gabby Douglas was the first woman to win the golden medal in the Olympics for America! everyone one was amazed when Gabby won the competition after suffering an injure a few months before the big competition!!!

Simone Biles is the greatest American gymnast I have ever seen. In total she has won 16 golden medals in various competitions over the years!!
Image result for gabby douglas and simone biles rio 2016
Addhttps://www.vavel.com/en-us/more-sports/585053-great-rivalries-of-2016-simone-biles-gabby-douglas.html caption




What makes these two great athletes so good compared to other people who do gymnastics but never make it to the Olympics?


Simone Biles- one of the first things that I have noticed about all the gymnasts is that most of the are under 5ft 5. being small allows the ability for people of that height to be quicker in motion then most average people. this allows Simone to preform many difficult movements in her competitions.

 Now by now your wondering, what on earth does this have to do with geography, well.... gymnastics was originally preformed in Greece and was known back then as 'naked dancing' which was usually done by the opposite sex depending on the gender of the audience. I don't know about you but that is strange. The reason they preformed gymnastics naked was because the clothes that they had back then were not made to be preforming those moves so they thought that wearing no clothes would allow more movement therefore increasing performance skills.




I now hope that you have a better understanding about where the best gymnasts come from and where gymnastics had started!




No comments:

Post a Comment